It’s the middle of January and your furnace just died. While the family is huddled around the fireplace, you quickly Google “HVAC contractor”, call the first one in the list, and hope that it works out. We’ve all been there, and most of us are happy to hire the first repairman that is available in case of emergency, but that’s not always the best choice. If you need to make a major or costly upgrade to your home’s furnace, air conditioning or air ducts, it’s time to choose an HVAC contractor who you can count on.
Ventilation has become a technology of its own. With more advanced heating and cooling systems than ever before, you need the right contractor to install, repair, and maintain it. With offers and deals from every handyman around the corner, it can be difficult and overwhelming to choose the right one.
My Trusted Contractor has taken the guesswork out of it and given you everything you need to know about how to choose and hire a contractor that will work for you and get the job done right.
My Trusted Contractor is proud to work with local contractors all throughout the states of Indiana and Kentucky, including the cities of Indianapolis, IN, Fort Wayne, IN, Jeffersonville, IN, Louisville, KY, and Lexington, KY. Find a local contractor for your next HVAC project!
Hiring Your HVAC Contractor
Research: With so many different options, finding the right contractor for the job can quickly become overwhelming. Start by doing research in your area to see what, and who, is available. Chances are, you’ll find some big companies, a few mom and pops, and maybe a contractor who owns his own business.
Ask Questions: Once you have a list of possible HVAC contractors to consider, give them a call and ask a few key questions that can tell you a lot about their company, themselves, and raise any red flags.
- License, bond, and insurance. Start by ensuring the company and the technician are both licensed by the state and carry the appropriate insurance. Most states mandate the education, exams, and job experience required to be licensed as an HVAC contractor. Any professional that works in your home should carry liability insurance to protect you and your home in case of damage or injury.
- References. This one is important, and unfortunately, often skipped over. Any local HVAC repair contractor should have a list of recent customers you can contact to verify their performance, work, and customer service. Asking for a list of references is the first part, while actually calling them is the second. This can give you valuable insight you may not find with online reviews.
- Brands. Ask a potential contractor what brand of equipment they carry, and what brands they service. This gives you the opportunity to research those brands, and also find a contractor that uses brands you may prefer or already be familiar with.
- Estimates. If you are looking for a new installation or replacement, the cost is likely going to be a pretty important factor. Any time you’re going to sink a significant investment into your home, it’s worth it to get at least three estimates.
- Tax credits. Ask about any incentives, credits, rebates, or tax benefits available. This tells you two important things. Even if you choose not to take advantage of these possibilities, it shows how educated the contractor is about current incentives.
- Payment options. You definitely don’t want any surprises when it comes to paying the bill. Ask about whether they accept a payment plan, how much is expected up front, and what types of payment options they take.
- The contract. Ask for a sample of their service contract. A sample allows you to read it thoroughly without the pressure of signing anything.
- Pay attention. While asking these questions and talking with the company or contractor themselves, pay attention and read between the lines. Don’t only listen to what they’re telling you, but how they are providing information. How do they react to your questions? Are they patient and willing to explain things thoroughly? This can give you valuable insight into their customer service side.
Finding a company and technician you can trust means you can enjoy peace of mind knowing you don’t have to do it yourself, which can often result in further damage and more expenses down the road. You can partner with us and let us help pair you with the right contractor for the job. Simply let us find a contractor for you today.
Why is Hiring a Heating & Cooling Expert Important?
Chances are you may have a family member or friend who is convinced they can fix it themselves, but that doesn’t necessarily make them a qualified choice. A quality heating and air conditioning technician and/or company establishes a relationship with you and brings system expertise to offer pinpoint solutions to your problems. They have the resources available to deal with any current issues as well as predict and prevent future issues. Often, even the best DIY attempts can result in more damage and more money spent.
Your HVAC system is one of the most complex systems in your home or business; hiring an HVAC contractor that is well trained to replace, install, and deal with different problems is essential. You probably wouldn’t attempt to replace your own roof or install a new electrical line. Finding a heating contractor is equally essential and plays a crucial role in your home’s comfort, air quality, and safety. Connect with a contractor today to ensure your system is running its best.